'Plaint of the Playwright

'Plaint of the Playwright

[ Wednesday, April 18, 2007 ]


My, oh, my, have I got stuff a-comin'.

Yeah, there's a ton of material from me coming up, for those seven or eight of you who follow my work.

The biggest one, right now, is Mercury Players' Revenge Of The Mini-Musicals, which will feature a re-written, reorchistrated, and vastly improved Discordia's Sunshine Death (originally presented at Blitz, for those who remember).

The new Discordia will feature new lyrics, new gags, (possibly) more stage blood, two new songs ("I Love Premarial Sex" is the standout, but "The Sassy One" is the one that gets stuck in your head), as well as the return of Anthony Lamarr as one of the bumbling cops, and of course, the lovely and talented Kelly Kiorpes (in the role she may have been born to play) as Discordia Doren, psychotic Catholic schoolgirl.

I should mention that this show was co-written by Morey Burnard, who wrote all of the music (we traded back and forth of lyrical work), and also directed the whole damn affair. Morey went to town on this one. I know his inspiration for the music came from a certain amount of 70's rock opera, which is amazing to me because when I was a kid, stuff like that used to really creep me out, like Tommy, or Phantom Of The Paradise (which was no small inspiration for this, by the way).

If you were a fan of The Lizzies or Psychos In Love, then you really need to check out this one.

Here's the nitty gritty:

Revenge of the Mini Musicals II
By Catherine Capellaro & Andrew Rohn, Rob Matsushita, Moritz Burnard, Douglas Holtz, and Jonathan Zarov Directed by Moritz Burnard


Four original short musicals for grown-ups:

Meaty, Beaty Big and Bouncy by Catherine Cappellaro and Andrew Rohn

Discordia's Sunshine Death by Rob Matsushita & Morey Burnard

Bingo Night at the Church of St. Darwin by Jonathan Zarov

Gaystroke, Legend of Tarthan by Doug Holtz

Opening night gala on April 20th.

Produced by
Mercury Players at the Bartell Theatre, Drury Stage
Performances: April 20 - May 5, 2007
Performance Times: April 20, 21, 25, 26, 27, 28, May 2, 3, 4, 5 @ 8 pm, April 22, 29 @ 2 pm


Ticket Prices: $15 / $5 Student Tuesdays & Wednesdays / General Admission

Go to
www.brownpapertickets.com for reservations, or 608-661-9696 x5 (Season Ticket Reservations) for additional information

Also up and coming is Short Shorts, which is at the Mercury Lounge (117 E. Mifflin--next door to the Bartell). For those of you who don't know, Short Shorts is a monthy event. Here's the skinny (copied from Madstage):

You are cordially invited Tuesday night, April 24th, 8pm at the Mercury Lounge (117 E. Mifflin) for an evening of short (1 page, no really, just a page) plays. [Note, this season, there are also FIVE page plays, nicknamed "Hot Pants"] All plays will take place in the lounge amongst you, the audience, and they will happen when you least expect it.

This event is free, and takes place on the last tuesday of every month. If you are interested in acting, writing, directing, or in some way becoming a part of this awesome experience, send us your info, interests, and/or script submissions! Send to: mercuryshortshorts@gmail.com See you on the 24th! -Mercury Players Special Events

Produced by Mercury Players Theatre SE at Mercury Lounge 117 E. Mifflin
Performances: September 26, 2006
Performance Times: 8pm
Ticket Prices: Free

I not only have some stuff in there, but I'm performing as an actor as well. This is actually a series I started, called "Disarming," starring myself and the always-awesome Emily Mills.

It's a cliffhanger series, and, in case you missed the first one, I present to you now, the full script of Disarming, Episode One:

NARRATOR: WELCOME TO THE FIRST EPISODE OF "DISARMING," ALREADY IN PROGRESS...

REEVE sits at the bar, quietly drinking. KIDDER enters, wearing a large overcoat. As she steps up behind him, he draws a gun and points it at her over his shoulder as she holds a hunting knife to his throat.

REEVE: Well, hello...I was just thinking about you, Kidder. To what do I owe this dubious pleasure, Baby Snakes?

KIDDER: Um, can we sort of not do this now? I have some serious shit going on, and I, um...I needed some help with it.

REEVE: (putting his gun away) Hey. I'll always be your willing slave. What's up?

Kidder looks around and slowly starts to undo her coat.

REEVE: Oh. This is just like the summer of '02, isn't it? Hold on, I want to give this my full attention.

KIDDER: When I woke up in the middle of the park this morning, I found this...

Kidder opens her coat, revealing that she's strapped with a large, blinking, beeping explosive device.

REEVE: (laughs) Oh, wow. Yeah, this is takin' me back to Fall of '04.

KIDDER: Look, can you do something about this or not? I mean, you build these things, so can you, um--

Reeve looks at her. Chuckles.

KIDDER: Look, can you do something about this or what?

REEVE: (thinks) Okay. I'll take a whack at it.

He picks her up and places her carefully on the bar, then clicks open an icepick he carries on him.

REEVE: So...do we know how much time we have?

KIDDER: When I woke up, I had this watch on me...I think we have about 15 minutes.

REEVE: Awesome. I love pressure. Any idea who did this to you?

KIDDER: I sort of left my boyfriend this week. So, yeah, there's a little bit of blowback going on from that, probably.

And with that, something on the front of the bomb SNAPS OPEN AS LIGHTS ON THE BOMB GO ON, BEEPING TO LIFE. It seems that Reeve may have just made the bomb mad.

Long pause.

REEVE : Wait. You have a boyfriend?

KIDDER: Could we not do this right now?!? God, we've only got--

NARRATOR: FOURTEEN MINUTES UNTIL THE BOMB GOES OFF. TO BE CONTINUED...

Script created with Final Draft by Final Draft, Inc.

What will happen next? Find out Tuesday. Dun dun DUUUUN.

Also, some of my Blitz plays will be performed by some students at West High--more on this as I learn more.



posted by Rob on 11:20 AM | link

--------------------

4 Comments:

Glad you're keeping busy, there, Rob...sorry I can't check out any of the shows. I may be in the area this summer so I'll keep an eye out to see if you have anything playing in that timeframe.

By Blogger Chuck, at Saturday, April 21, 2007 9:21:00 PM  

Great work.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, November 10, 2008 11:42:00 PM  

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, January 11, 2010 9:11:00 AM  

Hey,

I mostly visits this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]You have really contiributed very good info here robmatsushita.blogspot.com. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. Here is a fact for you. Recent Scientific Research presents that about 60% of all USA adults are either chubby or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, March 22, 2010 7:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment