'Plaint of the Playwright

'Plaint of the Playwright

[ Thursday, May 18, 2006 ]

Just a quick reminder that this is closing weekend for Mercury Rising.

I've kinda gotten to meet a few people who I really didn't know before, just hanging out at the theater.

It's weird being the writer. I feel kinda like I'm still the nerd trying to hang out with the cool kids, sometimes. Everyone seems to like what I wrote, and people seem really nice to me, though. I kinda miss the acting thing, as well as the actually being a part of a show, other than providing a gun or something.

I remember when I first started getting involved here, and being very much of a wallflower, hoping for approval, or being part of the group. I actually kinda feel like I might be one of the group, now--not always, but more than usual. People say they like me, or they've heard of me, and I still can't accept it. My mind won't let me take a compliment.

Last week, at one of the cast parties, one of the actors said, "You know what, Rob? You're a nice guy."

I said, "Don't jump to that conclusion before all the facts have been made apparent. I am not that nice a guy."

Everyone kinda looked at me like I was a psycho--but maybe because that's because I was only half-kidding.

Okay. Sometimes I don't like myself much.

I have a hair-trigger mouth, I've done things I'm not proud of, I've lied, I've stolen, I've hurt people, I've aggrandized myself and torn down others, and been witness to it all.

But, hey, who of us hasn't?

Those of you who've seen my other work, the serious stuff, well, you probably know that much of it comes from a core of anger.

This show that I wrote for Mercury? It's actually kind of sweet, and hopeful, and optimistically ambiguous.

It's actually inspired me to kinda keep going down this path, and this week, for no reason other than I couldn't stop myself, I started writing another full-length. I'm about half-done.

Get ready, because here's the big suprise:

No guns.

No violence.

No one gets killed.

And it's a love story.

I'm just as shocked as you.

In a way, I have Mercury Rising to thank for it. A little play I wrote at the last minute, just to make the deadline has made me look at what I want to do in a new light.

Oh, sure, I'll do more stuff with guns and blood and killing. I mean, that stuff's my bread, butter and jam.

But maybe I realized that it was time to try something different.

Thanks again to everyone involved with Mercury for choosing my play.

And now, here's a teaser poster I made last night for the next full-length, to be done, I know not where.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tickets for Mercury Rising can be purchased here.



posted by Rob on 12:35 AM | link

--------------------

2 Comments:

That's the next show? Have you given up on Hitler was Right?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, May 19, 2006 10:56:00 AM  

No, I just had kind of a burst of energy for this one--I do plan to finish HWR at some point--I almost have to, as one of the characters from it, Tiffany made it into the Merc Rising show I wrote.

She, of course, is the teenage girl breaking up with her boyfriend, Todd (who's from ANOTHER high school story I wrote), specifically placing Connor and Megan in my fictional town of Claymore.

By Blogger Rob, at Friday, May 19, 2006 4:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment