'Plaint of the Playwright

'Plaint of the Playwright

[ Friday, May 24, 2002 ]

In the dream, I have been sleeping for hours--and I was supposed to get up earlier. My wife is nowhere to be seen.

I head downstairs to find that Cathy, my manager at the bank (who normally gives me a ride) has been waiting for me.

I head around to the back of the house (which has now become my mother's home in New Jersey), and discover a woman (who I only see in shadow) walking around my apartment.

Excuse me! I yell up to the second floor. That's our apartment!

"Oh, sorry," the woman says. "I'm looking for a new place and there's a sign out front."

That's for the third floor apartment. That one's ours.

"Oh," she says, and walks upstairs.

I walk back to the front of the house (without changing into my work clothes) to find Cathy no longer there.

I walk to work.

As I walk to work, I realize that I am in the world where all the commercials come from. All the people around me talk about or live their lives around are products--and I see several celebrities doing inane things--Alex Trebek is eating soup and worrying about gum pain, and perhaps this new cream will do the trick. Rebecca Romijn-Stamos and some girl argue over who gets the last Snack Cake.

All of these commercials going on in real life, and all of them interrupting each other--disrupting each other.

And me without a product to plug.

And then I wake up.

For those of you wondering why I haven't put anything up yet about my recent vacation, that's only because I haven't got the pictures back yet, and want to put them up.

In the meantime, check out this trailer. This seems to be Brian DePalma's reaction to trailers that show too much. Kinda clever.

In an odd coincidence, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos is in it--I'd had the dream before seeing this. I anticipate her being in a lot more of my dreams now, though.



posted by Rob on 10:11 AM | link

--------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment