'Plaint of the Playwright

'Plaint of the Playwright

[ Tuesday, January 08, 2002 ]

Casey Grimm, co-founder of RoundHill Theatre Company, is, so far as I know, the first to read Welcome To The Terror Dome start to finish. Steven Van Haren, the other co-founder, is still reading it now--but he did give me a "Whoa," from what he read.

Initial reactions he had: Out side of a general look of horror, he did mention that he thought that it does work as a thriller. "It's very tense," He said, "and the dialogue works."

I told him that a scene involving a paper cut and a stapler is based on a true story.

"That's actually my favorite scene," he said, adding, "although, technically, the whole show is really one big scene."

That's true--it's 75 minutes of "real" time.

Some criticisms he had were that there were points where it moved too fast--that too much exposition is given too quickly.

I think he's right, at least in one area where the main character, Polly, talks about how she and her husband met. That's going to need more dialogue for sure.

The great thing about being at 75 pages is that I can add stuff without having to worry about the show getting too long--a problem I usually have when I write. (I'll get into the writing process in later posts.)

He also mentioned that it will "piss a lot of people off." Not something I'm gonna shy away from at this point. But keep in mind--it's a thriller.

Two more days until Computers In Love!

Oh, yeah, and for the love of god, click here.



posted by Rob on 11:53 AM | link

--------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment