'Plaint of the Playwright

'Plaint of the Playwright

[ Wednesday, December 12, 2001 ]

Okay, I swear to God I'll get Part 3 of Rock On, Sisterfriend up here this week (for the two or three of you out there who are reading it), but first, let me mention two things:

One, I don't know if this is affecting everyone, but it looks like the comments aren't working.

Again.

Anyway, thing number two:

I discovered this last year, but I wanted to bring it up here. I found this on http://www.scotsgay.co.uk:

Whatever happened to Bette and Joan
C.

Set during the filming of "What happened to Baby Jane'' we find Bette Davis and Joan Crawford sharing a dressing room and arguing over their lives. This is part documentary (they both talk about how they got to be where they are) and part story (they argue over the film and how they live their lives now).

The play centres around how the press expected them to hate each other and, being stars of the time, they were expected to do what was expected of them. However, this doesn't mean that either of them is happy with the situation.

The play works very well. We have scenes with just one of the actresses and others with both interacting. Switching from monologues about the past to arguments about the present creates a three dimensional story about two gay icons.

For added value Joan is played by a man. And well.

*Martin Powell
*martinp@drink.demon.co.uk


Huh. Someone else had the same idea--only their production was at the UK Fringe Festival almost a month after my show of the same title!

If anyone knows ANYthing about this show, please email me--I'm dying to see how the shows compare!




posted by Rob on 3:34 PM | link

--------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment